Post is by Halo Waypoint
Fancy yourself an artist?
Ever dream of having your work published alongside established Halo fiction?
Then we’ve got a contest for you!
For the next print edition of the Halo Evolutions anthology, 343 Industries (343i) and Halo Waypoint want to highlight the artistic talents of the Halo community. To achieve this goal, 343i and Halo Waypoint present the…
Halo Evolutions Community Art Contest
As established in the Official Contest Rules listed below, 343i and Waypoint are looking for the best fan-made art inspired by the stories presented in the Halo Evolutions anthology, with the potential for your winning entry to be printed in a future edition of Halo Evolutions.
Simply select one of the stories from Evolutions and create a piece of artwork that you feel best represents either the story as a whole or a particular moment from the story. If you do not have access to a copy of Halo Evolutions, 343i and Waypoint have provided an excerpt from each of the eligible stories for you to use as reference and inspiration. The excerpts can be found in the section of this article title “Halo Evolutions Story Excerpts,” listed below, following the Official Contest rules.
Entries will be accepted between June 1 and July 15 and all entries must meet the criteria listed in the rules below.
In order to ensure your entry meets all established requirements, please make an effort to thoroughly review the Official Contest Rules, as all information pertaining to entries, the submission process, creator and entry eligibility and more have been provided in full detail.
HALO EVOLUTIONS COMMUNITY ART CONTEST OFFICIAL RULES
THERE IS NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN.
COMMON TERMS USED IN THESE RULES:
These are the official rules that govern how the Halo Evolutions Community Art Contest will operate (“Contest”).
1. CONTEST DESCRIPTION:
This is a skill-based Contest. The object is to encourage eligible entrants to use their artistic skills to create a black and white line art or halftone illustration representing characters and/or events in any one of the stories featured in the Halo Evolutions anthology, published by Tor Books.
The judges are looking for an illustration that most artistically creatively and skillfully depicts events and/or characters portrayed in the Halo Evolutions anthology, published by Tor Books. The winning illustration will potentially be included in a future edition of the book Halo Evolutions.
In these rules, a black and white line art or halftone illustration that you create and submit with your registration information will be called an “Entry,” and “we,” “our,” and “us” refer to Microsoft Corporation and 343 Industries, the “Sponsors” of this Contest.
“You” refers to an eligible Contest entrant.
2. WHAT ARE THE START AND END DATES?
The contest will run from June 1, 2010 through July 15, 2010 (“Contest Period”).
Entries can be submitted beginning on June 1, 2010 at 5:00pm PT.
All entries must be received by July 15, 2010 at 5:00pm PT.
3. CAN I ENTER?
You are eligible to enter this Contest if you meet the following requirements at time of entry:
• You are a legal U.S. resident of the 50 United States (and D. of C.) at or Canada (except Quebec) and are 18 years of age or older at the time of entry, and
• You are NOT involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Contest; and
• You are NOT an employee of Microsoft Corporation or an employee of a Microsoft subsidiary or 343 Industries; and
• You are NOT an immediate family (parent, sibling, spouse, child) or household member of a Microsoft or Microsoft subsidiary employee or an employee of 343 Industries, or a person involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Contest.
This Contest is void outside the geographic area described above and wherever else prohibited by law.
4. WHAT CONSTITUTES AN ELIGIBLE ENTRY?
Microsoft grants to you a limited license to use any of Microsoft’s copyrighted or trademarked materials contained in Halo franchise materials for the sole purpose of creating and submitting an Entry for review and assessment in this Contest. Contestant receives no other rights to create or distribute derivative works of Halo. In addition, entrant recognizes all of Microsoft’s right, title, and interest in the Halo franchise materials game as well as all derivative works created using Halo, and contestant must not take any action that might harm or adversely affect Microsoft’s rights or goodwill in Halo. No right, title, or interest in and to Halo except for the license granted in these Official Rules is transferred or created. By creating an Entry in connection with this Contest, a contestant grants to Microsoft, to the extent contestant has any rights in the Entry, an irrevocable, non-exclusive, world-wide, royalty-free, sub-licensable and transferable license in all media (now known or later developed) to use the Entry for any purpose including the right to incorporate it or elements from it in any future Microsoft product or service.
To be eligible for judging your Entry must be your own original work and must meet the following requirements:
• Illustration may only consist of black and white line art or halftone artwork
• Total image size must not exceed 20 picas X 36 picas (3-1/2″ X 6″)
• All entries must be submitted in a digital format. Entries should be submitted using the following guidelines:
|o Line Art, must be submitted in .eps format|
|o Line Art minimum resolution is 1200 dpi.|
|o Halftone submissions must be submitted in .tiff format|
|o Halftone minimum resolution is 300 dpi|
• Your illustration cannot have been selected as a winner in any other contest; and
• Your illustration must not violate the rights of any other person or company by using their trademarks, copyrights logos, names or images or feature any recognizable person
We reserve the right to reject any Entry, in our sole and absolute discretion, that we determine does not meet the above criteria.
5. HOW DO I ENTER?
Enter by creating black and white line art or halftone illustration representing characters and/or events in any one of the stories featured in the book Halo Evolutions, published by Tor Books. If you don’t have access to any of the stories in the Halo Evolution anthology, you can find selected excerpts from each of the eligible stories listed on this page (see section labeled “Halo Evolutions Story Excerpt” below).
Final artwork must be submitted in a digital format; either via Email or sent on a disc to the physical mailing address provided. DO NOT send original art; all submissions must be digital. All Entry materials become the property of Microsoft and will not be returned.
To create a digital version of your artwork, scan the original and save the file to the specifications listed above under the heading “What Constitutes an Eligible Entry?” Once created, submit your entry via email or by US mail. If the size of your file exceeds 10MB then you must enter by US mail:
To enter via Email
To submit your Entry by email, send your entry along with your full name, your full mailing address and the title of the Halo Evolutions story your entry represents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Include the following subject line for your entry email:
ENTRY: HALO EVOLUTIONS COMMUNITY ART CONTEST
To enter by US mail
Save your Entry to a viewable DVD and mail with a card or letter containing your full name, a working e-mail address, full mailing address and the Halo Evolutions story your entry represents to:
Halo Evolutions Art Contest
c/o Halo Waypoint
One Microsoft Way
Redmond WA 98052 USA
You may only submit one Entry regardless of entry method.
We are not responsible for Entries that we do not receive for any reason, or for those that we receive but are not viewable or decipherable for any reason. All Entry materials become the property of Sponsors and will not be returned.
6. HOW WILL WINNERS BE SELECTED?
Entries will be judged by panel experts from Microsoft and 343 Industries based on the following criteria, and one winner will be selected:
• The illustration closely represents the scene and/or characters it is depicting 50%
• The illustration composition shows artistic skill 25%
• The illustration is original and creative 25%
7. HOW WILL MY ENTRY BE POTENTIALLY USED?
The intent is to include your illustration in future edition of the book Halo Evolutions. However while we reserve all rights to all entries, we are not obligated to use any Entry for any purpose, even if it has been selected as a winning Entry.
During this Contest your Entry may be posted on a website or displayed publicly selected by us for viewing by visitors to that website public location. We are not responsible for any unauthorized use of your Entry by visitors.
In addition, by entering you:
• are granting us, to the extent you have any rights in the Entry, an irrevocable, non-exclusive, world-wide, royalty-free, sub-licensable and transferable license in all media (now known or later developed) to use the Entry for any purpose including the right to incorporate it or elements from it in any future Microsoft product or service
• agree to sign any necessary documentation that may be required for us and our designees to make use of the rights you granted above;
• understand and acknowledge that the Sponsors may have developed or commissioned materials similar or identical to your photograph and you waive any claims you may have resulting from any similarities to your Entry;
• understand that you will not receive any compensation or credit for use of your Entry, other than what is described in these Official Rules
If you do not want to grant us these rights to your Entry, please do not enter this Contest.
If you are a potential winner, we will notify you by sending a message to the e-mail address, the phone number, or mailing address provided at time of entry within seven (7) days following completion of judging.
If you do not complete any required forms as instructed and/or return the required forms within the time period listed on the winner notification message, we may select a runner-up.
8. WHAT OTHER CONDITIONS AM I AGREEING TO BY ENTERING?
By entering this Contest you (parent or legal guardian if you have not reached the age of majority in your state or Province) agree:
• To abide by these Official Rules; and
• To release and hold harmless Sponsors and their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, employees and agents from any and all liability or any injury, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with this Contest, and
• That Sponsors decisions will be final and binding on all matters related to this Contest; and
• That Sponsor may use your proper name and state of residence online and in print, or in any other media, in connection with this Contest, without payment or compensation to you, except where prohibited by law.
9. WHAT LAWS GOVERN THE WAY THIS CONTEST IS EXECUTED AND ADMINISTRATED?
This Contest will be governed by the laws of the State of Washington, and you consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the courts of the State of Washington for any disputes arising out of this Contest.
10. WHAT IF SOMETHING UNEXPECTED HAPPENS AND THE CONTEST CAN’T RUN AS PLANNED?
If someone cheats, or a virus, bug, catastrophic event, or any other unforeseen or unexpected event that cannot be reasonably anticipated or controlled, (also referred to as force majeure) affects the fairness and / or integrity of this Contest, we reserve the right to cancel, change or suspend this Contest. This right is reserved whether the event is due to human or technical error. If a solution cannot be found to restore the integrity of the Contest, we reserve the right to select winners from among all eligible Entries received before we had to cancel, change or suspend the Contest.
If you attempt to compromise the integrity or the legitimate operation of this Contest by hacking or by cheating or committing fraud in ANY way, we may seek damages from you to the fullest extent permitted by law. Further, we may ban you from participating in any of our future contests, so please play fairly.
11. HOW CAN I FIND OUT WHO WON?
All winners and their illustrations will be presented online at:
12. WHO IS SPONSORING THIS CONTEST?
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052
13. PRIVACY STATEMENT
Click the link below to view our official Privacy Statement:
HALO EVOLUTIONS STORY EXCERPTS
If you do not have a copy of Halo Evolutions available to you for use as reference when creating your artwork, 343i and Halo Waypoint have provided the following excerpts (one from each of the stories contained with the pages of Halo Evolutions). Click the link associated with the story you would like your art to be based upon and use the related excerpt as inspiration for your submission:
Elders.TV will be starting CoH (Community of Halo) a new post you will see here at Elders.TV. Everyday you will be able to see other Halo fans or even your videos, posts, screenshots, Forge ideas, and storys here at Elders.TV. We hope everyone will enjoy this!
Click here to find out how to get your videos, posts, screenshots, Forge idea, and storys in the CoH.